Monday, June 23, 2008

Ivan


It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that one of my friends died a few days ago.

His name is Ivan McNally.
He leaves behind a widow and two lovely little girls.

I got the call from Francesca, his wife, on Friday just gone. He lost his fight at 04:30 and his family where with him at the end.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumour which was eventualy removed on his insistence. The thing was the size of my fist and in the left hemisphere.
Just as things where looking good for a recovery another one came along, this time in the right hemisphere. Things went down hill from there.

When he first told me of his condition it was after a long time of us not being in touch, I was so pleased to be back in touch with an old school friend and fellow cadet (he was a Marine cadet and I was a Sea cadet) but it was short lived as the news of his illness and mothers sudden death saddened me more than I can say.
One thing I did say to him was to start a blog and tell the world about himself and his struggle, in other words don't leave it to anyone else, that way the facts will be correct and I'm a lazy SOB who didn't want to do it.
He started his blog and the entries he posted are in fits and starts thanks in part to his treatment, his general condition and weather or not he could be arsed to do them, pretty much like myself on the last point.
I urge you dear reader to visit his blog and get a glimpse of the man we will all miss.

He was with me in the science museum in London last year when I sparked one of the biggest terror alerts of the year. That is recorded in my blog (it's in two parts) and is well worth a read as it shows a couple of pics of the daughters he leaves behind. Read also the visit to the Imperial war museum where you will see some pics of Ivan displaying his rapier like wit.

He was a great many things in his life, son, friend, jocular conspirator, policeman, father and husband. Our thoughts must now be for his widow Francesca and his two girls.

If he can hear me then one last piece of advice can I give him...

"...second star to the right and on till morning."






Do you feel lucky punk?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw his name I though "Oh, yay! Ivan!" But then I realized oh no, Ivan. He truly was a unique, interesting, kind-hearted man.
I'm very sorry that you lost a friend, Ed, and that Francasca and their girls are without him. How wonderful it was, though, that you two met up again, and had some great times together.

Did you ever read The Cider House Rules? "Ivan has found a family. Good night, Ivan."

Bezzie said...

Sigh. It's so hard when they're so young. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

Sorry dude, for you and for the people whose life he touched.

Ashley

Anonymous said...

Sorry man, i only met him once and it was many years ago, and we were all drunk, very drunk as i recall.....he was a good guy. Thoughts are with his family.

Nobby

Anonymous said...

So sorry. I didn't know Ivan but I read is blog in February and was completely dumb-struck by what had happened to him and how he and his family were coping with it. My thoughts are with his family.

Kathryn

Ed said...

Thank you all.

Anonymous said...

Non ho ombra di quel passato. La luna stava alla finestra e qualche volta la chiudevo in una mano ma sapevo di non possederla.

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Anonymous said...

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again - taking you feeds also, Thanks.

Unknown said...

I watched Top Gear last Sunday - the one where they were going to review the latest 911, you know, the retro one with the Fuche alloys, and for just a tiny, miniscule, momentary second I thought, "Ooo, quick, text Ive and tell him to put Top Gear on". It makes me feel ill all over again when that happens! I'd give anything to walk into his Mum's living room again and trip over the rear bumper to a classic 911 or sit on the dismantled gear box of a '68 Karman Ghia in the hall, drinking a milky brew like only his granny could make as we put the world to rights and slagged off Steve aka 'Buffy the Porsche slayer' for painting his beloved 911 BRIGHT yellow but neglecting to add the 2 pac paint hardner meaning the beast was covered in a slimy custard like MESS!!!! I miss you mate - Neil