Sunday, July 01, 2007

Camping indoors

I fervently hope that the weather improves tomorrow, that will mean that the kitchen guys can cut the counters to length and make the other recesses that they need to make and to fit the counter tops back. They could have done all the cutting and routing indoors the other day while it pissed down outside. Yeah, over my dead body. But the contractor said that he didn't want to do that as I would be cleaning the dust up for the next 9 months. No shit Sherlock!
So this weekend I've been doing my meals in the microwave and on the plug-in grill. I pulled the last of the war rations out of the freezer today so that they can defrost overnight ready to be reheated in the microwave tomorrow for lunch and dinner, so that's the last of the chilly and the khoresh and here's me thinking I'd made more than I needed prior to the kitchen being ripped out, duh! I suppose I could make them stretch if I had sandwiches for lunch, then I'd have enough grub for two, maybe even three days before I need to resort to getting take out. But that's not going to happen because by the close of play tomorrow my effin' kitchen will be back on line. Cross your fingers. Oh screw that, cross everything!
I swear it's like camping indoors here at the moment, the microwave doesn't know what's hit it, all I normally use it for is to defrost stuff or do a baked spud in it once in a while, it's doing double shifts lately. And as for the dishes afterwards, well it's all done in my miniature sink in the bathroom upstairs. (H+S note: my loo has it's own room).

Today has been spent in the wreckage of my dinning room, wreckage is right as it's got the oven, the hob, the sink, some cupboard doors, the vacuum and a bike in it. The bike normally lives in the hall, not at the mo tho, no, the hall is full of what will eventually be my (second) new counter tops and the tiles that will soon (oh please) be on the wall, and about an inch thick layer of dust and stuff on the floor that I'm not cleaning up until the kitchen is done.
I'm seeing how long it takes to download enough stuff to fill a 2Gb chip for the PSP over the internet, (via the wifi network that big D from next door lets me use, he's great) and so far I've been at it for hours with no end in sight, I have to have been doing this for the last 5 hours.

On the up side tho', yesterday I bought my second suit ever. It's for little sis's wedding later this month, it's either dark navy blue or black, the light in the market stall wasn't too good. It's not your traditional westerner style suit but it does have a following. Have you ever seen Aliens? They are interrogating WO Ripley after her recovery, well the suits that the men are wearing are like the one I got for lil sis's wedding. Pant's are a bit big tho so I'll have to get a belt to match, drat! Oh!, and mum said I could use her dad's collar stud. I said that once I left the Royal Navy it would be a cold day in hell before I wore a tie ever again. So the shirt I'll be wearing will be collarless and hence the need for a stud in lieu of a tie.
There is one small problemo, vis a vis the lil sis wedding. I have to travel down to their gig on my birthday, how much does that suck? On the up side I travel down in the company of Nephew, cool! He can get loaded with me on the trains down, and if worst comes to worst he can at least use my mobile to phone for a taxi/ambulance should we/I need one.
More on this subject later.

OMG!!! I haven't got a wedding present yet. FU$K! I'll have to call lil sis and get the web address I need to visit to see the list of stuff she needs to make her life worthwhile. Holy Crap! I forgot that she lives in the 1700's, a place where they can't get a mobile phone signal(Dorset). Well that's me on the phone for the next three days looking for a pony express company! They only just got the wheel where she now lives, but they do plan to look into this new thing called fire soon.

Look don't take my word for it, visit Dorset yourself and then find out what old England was like during the feudal system. They do have a beach made of pebbles tho'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should find out what colour the bridesmaids are wearing and do the beard to match ... :)))

Ed said...

Hmmm.