Monday, July 09, 2007

Ta Dah!

A little over three weeks ago Cavalier Kitchens started the renewal of my clapped out and horribly dated 70's style kitchen with it's missing doors, busted hinges, low and split level counters and a cooker dating back to the middle ages. Three weeks sounds a long time but the counter tops had to be cut to length outside, however we had a week of almost continuous rain and a slight hiccup with the tops, but I'm getting ahead of myself.













So once the old mustard coloured tiles where taken down and the wall re plastered I had to clear out all the cupboards, everything had to be stowed in the box room on the bed and on the floor.







So once everything was re located upstairs except for a few essentials





It was time for one last goodbye prior to the blokes ripping out the units







This is what the old kitchen looked like once it was ripped out and dumped in the back yard,











So after all that I had to find the dining room, I'm sure I left it here somewhere.



I was cooking with a microwave in the hall and a grill on a chair in the dining room, then once it was eaten the whole lot (except the microwave) had to by washed upstairs in the small sink in the bathroom, dried and then carted back down. What a kerfuffle.

Then the new stuff arrived







New counter tops
New doors and panels
New cooker, sink and hob.

Next it was time to mark out and start installing the new kitchen





















And then for the counter tops to go in









Next was the hob, oven and sink to be installed and the washing machine to be put into it's new home








So it was all in and I could use it, the only things left to be done where the electrics and the tiling. Just one small problem, the section of counter that the sink was fitted in was a different shade to the rest, bugger!
One quick call to the shop to let them know and they said that this was the first time in ten years that something like this had happened.(Yeah right)
They inspected the top and agreed that it wasn't the light shining on it that was causing the two tone effect, but they would have to get in touch with the suppliers and order more, causing a slight delay. Then the weather turned seriously crap and it didn't stop raining for a week but once the rain stopped Cavalier Kitchens where back on site and kicking but. Here are some more pics to look at.










Here is my old new counter tops, they had to rip out the whole counter and not just the sink section.



leaving the kitchen looking a little worse for wear and my dinning room looking like a store room again.








But all was made good in double quick time, even Mal (the Boss) came out to refit the oven and hob. Now all that was left to do was for the walls to be tiled and the edges to be sealed and seeing as that wasn't weather dependent it was done in two shakes.









Well it's now complete and I've used it and its great! I love my new kitchen. So in a few days time you'll see the first of the "Cooking with Ed" posts.












The pan on the hob is a pork curry Chinese style, not too bad, I had enough to have some for dinner and freeze two portions.

Here's what I had yesterday for lunch





And here is most of the cost of the new kitchen. It's also the most cash I've ever held in my paws. I must admit to feeling a little nervous walking to Cavalier Kitchens to pay the outstanding balance.





Now all I've got to do is tile the floor.

TTFN.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEST POST EVER!!!
I love all the pictures! You have a kick ass backyard, too, perfect for parties and cook-outs!
Your kitchen looks FANTASTIC, Ed! So much nicer than before, which, I'll be honest, looked a bit scary in those photos. If I ever more to England and need my kitchen remodeled, I'm calling your guys!
Will you invite me over for dinner?

Ed said...

I'm impressed with the speed that you commented, I've only just finished the edit.

If you ever get to the north of England by all means pop over don't forget to bring Jim and the minions.

Anonymous said...

We're there!!

Bloglines, baby, it's all about the bloglines.

Ok, no it isn't. You'd like Jim. He's into random stuff, too, and my minions would make you some refrigerator art the likes of which you've never seen!!

Anonymous said...

Nice. You just so can't go wrong with all-white kitchens. Makes me want to drag D out of bed and go start ripping ours out .... then I remember the pain digging out and relaying the floors is going to cause ... I guess I'll just have to remain this delicate shade of green for a bit longer. :(

But OMG. You didn't tell me the ivy had run over your side that badly ... next decent run I get in the garden, it'll be going!!

Anonymous said...

looking good fella, Love the new Kitchen. I did like the old retro style 70's tiles though, they cost a fortune to buy that style these days (all fashions come back around....it won't be long until we are all wearing shell suits again - notice how I avoid the obvious scouse gag here).

I didn't realise you have that open plan thing going on with your kitchen/dining room. cool.

I can totally see the two shades in the worktops, glad you made a complaint. English people find it so hard to complain offically, but we are good at just pissing and moaning about stuff.

So now you have the kitchen sorted out does this mean your retirement holiday is over? Have you been offered a job collecting trollies for B&Q yet? lol. Are you qualified to do that do you think?

Do you remember that touch-screen interface video I sent you? Well here is the new toy. A sound table. The two video links below explain it. My friend Mark is half way through building his own. Buts its SO cool.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-RhyopUmc


www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPG-LYoW27E&mode=related&search=


later fella.

Ashley

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

THAT was a fantastic post! I'm very excited for Cooking With Ed! I'd fly there to be your lovely assistant. Or do you pronounce it "loverly"??

May I please have the old mustard-colored tiles? Even just one?

Ed said...

Thank you all very much.

Ivy was the last of my worries of late.

Lovely or loverly, either is good.

Old tiles, I'm sorry to say that none of them survived the operation intact. I suspect they're all in a landfill somewhere. Sorry PK.

Cheers for the links Ash, as soon as I'm finished here I'll have a look.

Anonymous said...

As promised,

The Independent


Shares soar in brain cancer vaccine firm

By Karen Attwood
Published: 11 July 2007

An experimental treatment for brain cancer developed by the AIM-listed Northwest Biotherapeutics has won regulatory approval, sending shares in the company up 82 per cent to 255p.

DCVax-Brain, which is the first treatment of this kind to be given market authorisation, will be available to patients in selected hospitals and medical centres in Switzerland by the end of September, the company said.

Analysts have hailed such therapeutic vaccines, which work by priming the patient's immune system to attack cancer cells, as a major breakthrough. In trials, DCVax-Brain has been shown to delay disease recurrence in newly diagnosed patients nearly threefold, and to more than double the survival time, which is, on average, about 15 months.

Furthermore, the therapy does not cause the debilitating side-effects associated with chemotherapy.

Phase II trials in the US involving 141 patients are due to end next year and approvals will be sought there and in Europe in early 2009.

Also in this section
• CBI chief calls on ministers to narrow wealth gap or face political backlash