Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Blogstalker #2

Lets get a couple of things sorted before I continue;-

  1. I don't have a purse/handbag (or manbag).
  2. Because I'm a bloke.
I do have a small selection of rucksacks however, but when they're not in use they're empty so that put paid to that idea.
Next I thought about my toolbox and I ask myself, how interested will a crowd of knittie heads be in an assortment of small spanners and and odd shaped bits of metal, not very.
Besides I don't carry that crap with me all the time.
So the question becomes this,

"What's it got in it's pockets, precious?"

To wit:-

one wallet
£7.30 in change
house keys
half a pack of gum
and as always seems to be the way these days, some BB's

Nothing very interesting really.
Maybe blokes should have handbags, you know, so we can lug around little nick-knacks, old dolls, first aid kits, cameras, huge bunches of keys, ration packs, note pads, primus stoves, things that make "woo weep" noises, very small churches, apples, crayons, spare huge bunch of keys, tyre iron, kitchen sink etc etc
But I'm not the one to champion the manbag I'm afraid, my wrist isn't limp enough.

"But surely you carry stuff in your wallet?"

Yes I do and stop calling me Shirley.


Just the usual suspects I'm afraid. A variety of plastic cards, some receipts, an expired video club card for a shop 264 miles to the South, some cash, a six pack of stamps (containing 2), an ear bud, a small piece of blank paper and finally a small cocktail stick.

On the up side this little exercise has given me the opportunity to weed my wallet and get rid of all the useless detritus that I don't need or use like the receipts, one of the plastic cards that has gone past it's date, the video card and the stamps.

22 comments:

Libi said...

I have to laugh. You and my son carry about the same things. He's always got BB's in his pockets. I don't know why? Is it a male thing that I'll never understand?

And no lint? :)

Jo said...

Well, at least something good came of it ;) Maybe we should have made you turn out your coat pockets - I'm always amazed what I find in my husband's coat pockets.

Unknown said...

Dude, if you want to avoid the 'man-bag' issue get your self a cool laptop bag.

There are some very funky ones, they are big enough to carry folders, magazines, note pads, sandwiches, bananananananana's, mobile phones, digi cameras, mp3 (cough ipods) and even laptops.

I too know that pain for searching jeans pockets and jackets pockets to find my wallet or keys.

Stylish man bags, no, cool laptop bags, yes.

Also, is 'The Scanner Darkly' any good? I keep picking it up in temptation but then putting it back incase it relies on Keanu Reeves actually acting rather than Matrix Style special effects.

Later fella.

Ashley

dulcedosa said...

"Yes I do and stop calling me Shirley." is that from the TV Show Scrubs? LOL!

Hmmm...I like your blog. Penny and OLPP have a knack for the eccentric and favorful sorts. LOL! *ehem*

Loving the headlube. That's HOT!
*small drool*

I shall return...

Ed said...

Hi dulcedosa (unusual but nice sounding moniker),

The Shirley gag is from a totally different show altogether.

(sound of huge crowd clearing their throats)
*sing*
"the Shirley gag is from a totally different show."

Would anyone out there care to guess?

Hi Libi and Jo,
Yes it must be a bloke thing, no matter the age. However I suspect that when I was younger I'd have had a more bizarre collection of trinkets probably including a slingshot and a frog.

Ash, don't buy "a scanner darkly", I'll bring or send it to you or D, just don't waste your money like I did. Oh, and I don't care how trendy a laptop bag is made, if it doesn't resemble a rucksack or cloth brief case then I'm sorry, it's a manbag. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that limp wrist comment, and instead reiterate how rad you are for playing along. Do you want to join the blogring?

Eryn said...

I too am thrilled you are playing along! I was curious how you'd handle the purse guts theme....

And since I'm commenting on two posts at once - thank you for the Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams references!

Ed said...

Cheers K, but I think I'll keep my armature standing and carry on regardless.

TP and DA(RIP) rule.

Ed said...

That's amateur.
Damned spell chequer.

Catherine said...

an ear bud? (or as we call them "q-tips")

that has to be the most random thing!

Ed said...

The q-tip is for cleaning the recessed lens on my phones camera as it collects pocket fluff like it's going out of style

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

You know whats in my alluminium bag don't you?! Put it like this, it has a cyclic rate.

Ed said...

The black order should be with me by next Thursday, can't wait.

Oh, and I ordered a couple of collars for the G23f

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Music to my ears. I'm off to try and buy a head cam for my Archos. Should give some nice first person perspective footage of all hell being unleashed. Youtube here I come! Seeya next week.

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Ashley, Skanner Darkly sucks big time. So boring and confusing I fell asleep. I only gave it a chance coz it came from a Phil K. Dick short story. Well it was towards the end of his life and he was off his tits at the time. One for the history books only.

Amanda said...

Truly, Ed - I could learn something from a guy like you. Once upon a time, I did not carry a purse. Only a little girly wallet. And then, the list of items I HAD TO HAVE mysteriously grew. I aspire to carry as little as possible.
It's nice to "meet" you - I'm glad Penny Karma and OLPP included you. :)

buttercup said...

Scanner Darkly was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Quote is from the movie Airplane!

I always laugh at guys who poo-poo the purse but carry laptop bags stuffed to the gils and near ripping. I still carry less then them!

Ed said...

I wanted to see Scanner darkly for the graphics, the way they overlaid a cartoon style animation over the film footage, but yes, utter crap.

It was like watching one of my old school buddies with his stoned mates.

Ed said...

And yes it was Airplane.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up drinking.

sillyrabbit said...

Nice, Ed! About half the stuff in my purse was generously placed there by either my husband or small child, so I'm certain men could find use for a manbag. A giraffe would most definitely not fit in your wallet, unfortunately.

Theresa said...

Don't call you Shirley! I recognized that one right away. :-)

I, also, think you're rad for playing along! Plus it was useful! Entertaining and useful... what could be better?

Ed said...

You are all FABULOUS.