Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Well The Earth moved for me...(edit)

And so did the walls, the fitted wardrobes, the roof, the bed, myself and everything else in the street!

It was the first Earth tremor/quake I have ever experienced. There was one that happened when I was at school, but I slept thru' it (ha, my lil sis was on the loo).

Then in my old life/job when a quake happened I was at sea and so never felt a thing.

But at 1am today for the first time ever the Earth moved (in it's truest sense) for me.

It was tiny compared to Kobe or SanFransisco C.1906
But it was the biggest one we've had for 25 years and when you live in a geologically stable part of the world like we do here in the UK it's big news. Here's what the BBC had to say.

As soon as the room stopped shaking (aprox 5 secs), I was up, dressed and out of the house (again aprox 5 secs). I was the only one. Did I imagine that shaking or is every one else on this street a really heavy sleeper?

So when it got light enough I did a survey of the roof and chimney stack from the other side of the street using my binoculars. God knows what the neighbours thought I was doing, acting stranger than normal at 7:30 in the morning.

I'll sleep well tonight (I hope), thanks to the excitement and the anticipation of aftershocks. The aftershocks did happen but where so tiny the only way you'd know they happened would be if you where a really sensitive piece of geological sensing hardware. Or a beetle.

Anyway I'm off bowling tonight, wish me luck.


Here are two clippings from the Liverpool Echo that I would have posted earlier but was too knackered to do due to insomnia.

It may only have been a 5.2 for some but it didn't indicate the arrival of spring as far as I was concerned.

Oh, I got THRASHED at bowling, well and truly. And we even had the side barriers up, oh the shame.

But the grub at Frankie & Benny's was yumtastic. T and I have decided to go there until we have had one of everything from the main menu (and who knows even the desert menu as well).

TTFN

5 comments:

Bezzie said...

5.2--hee, you guys are so cute! But no worries, in Alaska, earthquakes are a sign of spring!

Anonymous said...

Dude,

Apparently the tremor was felt on the Isle Of Wight....it must has skipped Pompey....I bet it was some cheapskate claiming it caused loads of stuff needed fixing on his house and now he's doing an insurance job.

Ashley

Ed said...

Hi Ash,
I'm pretty sure that the news said it was only felt in the north of England and North Wales and as for as Southern Scotland.
I sense an insurance fiddle in the offing. Hope they get caught out.

Laters

Anonymous said...

Helooo Uncle Eamonn!!

Well I just thought I'd say that I never felt it even tho I was awake. Good old mill hall must be very sturdy haha!

See ya later
kate
xx

Anonymous said...

Hey love interest boy ~ Update your blog! That's five lunch breaks now that I've logged in to see what you've been up too....

K-Type