Saturday, November 10, 2007

Breakfast with Ed (Blogstalker 8)

Breakfast is a meal that doesn't always happen in the world of Ed these days.
When I was in the RN I'd have breakfast every day, due to the fact that I was up early to go to work. The repast was normally a cooked one, scrambled egg, sausage, bacon and baked beans, two rounds of toast (with Marmite) and a glass of fresh orange juice. This was a Monday to Friday deal, 07:00 doesn't exist on Saturday or Sunday as far as I know, but lunchtime does.

Now I'm a full time civy and taking a break from work, breakfast is a hit and miss affair, sometimes it happens and some times it doesn't.
Most days see me rising at a time of day that if I where to eat anything, it should be called brunch.
Today is different.
It's a Saturday and I'm up and about before 8am. (Is the bed on fire?)*
So here is what I have for breakfast nowadays...
...oatabix and a big cup of coffee.

* I remember when I was little during the general strikes back in the mid 70's, there was a series of rolling blackouts.
I wasn't fond of the dark, so one night my mum put a candle in a jar and left it on the mantelpiece in the bedroom. What she didn't realise was that the candle would melt the plastic of the jar,oops.
A little while after I had fallen asleep I awoke coughing, I got out of bed and sleepily walked down the stairs into the front room and matter of factly announced to anyone who was listening that the bed was on fire.
All hell broke out and I remember a string of pots, pans and bowls of water being rushed up stairs.
Great days...

3 comments:

Jo said...

Woo-hoo on the french press - that is the only way I like to drink coffee. What is oatabix? Is it like a cookie?

Ed said...

Hi Jo, the Oatabix are like an extremely crumbly biscuit and very absorbent, it goes well with warm milk and a little sugar or sweetener.
I'm made up that de-cafe is now a lot easier to get hold of for the french press.

lisa said...

you mentioned bourbon in baked beans? i gotta have that recipe! sounds soooo yummy. and bourbon-ey.
tia,
lisa