Friday, December 07, 2007

Drinking my coffee through a straw

Today started pretty badly and stayed that way, oh woe is me.

My day started at 7am, a whole three hours after I managed to go to sleep, well I assume it was because the last time I remember looking at the clock it read 4am.
I'm a bit of a night owl/insomniac when the mood takes me, but last night was not my fault, it was one of my lower right molars, you know the one, with the crack that goes from crown to root and from fore to aft. Well it decided that it needed a bit of company, seeing as it was miserable it decided to make me miserable as well, it's been good these last couple of weeks while I waited to see the dentist again (appointment this afternoon) so she could decide whether to repair or remove it.
The damned thing throbbed all night, that is the tooth throbbed, while the weather outside turned truly nasty. Heavy rain showers mixed with hail rattling on the windows, while the wind whistled all through the night, and other Welsh hymns.
Looked like my first morning of work experience with Scientiam was going to be hard going, a lot to take in, an assignment to understand and new faces and names to get to know all thru' the haze of sleep deprivation.

Crossing the Four Bridges on foot the break in the weather that I was enjoying disappeared. The wind was coming from my right with some force, then came the rain, thin little drops at first (nothing to concern myself with) and then all of a sudden it was as if someone had turned a hose on me, I was soaked all down my right hand side! Perfect, a morning soaked down one side and steaming slightly, that'll send a good impression.
Any way, I got to the place and met up with Paul and the other TDA, whose name escapes me. They will be the two blokes I'll be shadowing for the next few weeks. I got lots of reading material, but I'm not even getting it out the bag until tomorrow I'm just too tired, in fact I just lost a few minutes while typing this.

This afternoon was the appointment with the dentist like I said, a walk thru' the park and I'm there. To cut a long graphic story short, so it doesn't reinforce the "BAD" of going to the dentist for me, after SIX shots of anesthetic in the gum, jaw and tooth root, and a womanly struggle with he pliers, I am in some considerable distress. She hasn't managed to even set the forceps correctly yet!
Mercifully she stops and tells me that he only reason I'm feeling the searing pain is that the root of the tooth is infected, courtesy of the crack/fissure in the tooth (and, thinks I, the two and a half week delay in treatment, but I keep this to myself, she's already hurt me enough for one day) and that I'll need a course of anti-biotics. The infection counters the effect of the anesthetic you see. What joy. And the cost of this dental torture? A mere £48

I now have a face that is half numb and looks like a stroke victim with half a chin that feels the size of Quagmires and as is the case in all such incidents I now have to drink my coffee through a purple bendy straw.

Soup for tea tonight then.

P.S.

The shots have worn off, oh Bob the pain!

Chin chin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feeling for you dude, I had a tooth ripped out last month...it was cracked, had a filling fall out and an abscess under it that they had to vacuum out. But I think I was lucky, my dentist is a sweet funny old indian guy called Clemment and he didn't hurt me at all.

But it was the liquid diet for several days that pissed me off. All I wanted where kettle chips, but they would have ripped my gums open.

Hope you doing better fella.

Ashley

Ed said...

Cheers mate, I'm enjoying my solids in anticipation of having my xmas dinner blended for me.

Eryn said...

Have you tried brandy/scotch rubbed on the tooth? If it doesn't work, you can always drink it....

Ed said...

Hi Eryn,

I'm way ahead of you.
After being awake and in pain (like I've not known) for over 48hrs, I decided to get plastered, I'm nearly there in fact.
By bob I'll sleep tonight even if it is in an alcohol induced coma and sod the work experience, s'not as if I'm bein' paid anyway.

How does it go?

There was never philosopher that could stomach the tooth ache patiently.

Or some other such rot.

chin (aching)chin

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Giggity Giggity!!!

Ed said...

Alll righhhht.