Friday, January 18, 2008

Hal 4 returns from the grave

Just a quick post to say....

YIPPEEEEE!!!!

The laptop that I had given up for dead is back from beyond.

Thanks to a really interesting down to earth bloke who's life you sense is a lot more complex and complicated than it first appears.
4.5 hours the repair/reinstall and update took and it only cost £40, I watched most of it and though I could have done most of it myself, I would have gone down the wrong path. Y'see I incorrectly diagnosed the problem as a duff hard drive. Mr Computer dude glanced at it and said that some malicious mining software, or some such, had got on the hard drive, fortified it's position and was looking for all my personal details and it was this that was causing the slow boot up and even slower and erratic operation.
Then after he had stayed very late at the office he gave me a lift home as well, what a great bloke.
I can heartily recommend his shop for repairs and upgrades, just bare in mind he dislikes laptops, a pity really as he had about 5 on the go at once with similar types of problems or installing stuff on them for peeps who didn't know how to, great place.

So now that it's all better I'm going to install everything that should be on it back onto it, ie all my games. Then I'm just going to use the mac for music and polish it every Sunday.

G'night.

TTFN

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

one for the week and one for Sunday best.

Ashley

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Would you listen to me? Oh no, thought you knew it all! " I don't need no stinking Mcafee or Norton, I'll use the free stuff off the Internet instead!" For the sake of £40 mate, you waste that on crap in a couple of days!
Told Ya So!

Ed said...

Yeah yeah.

And blah blah.

Ed's next door neighbour said...

Don't you just hate it when people get all smart arsey instead of just updating their own blogs?!

We're doing fine off free stuff - no viruses, rootkits or worms on us ... :)

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

Your day will come, oh yes, the devil's put aside a special little trojan for you unbeliever!

Ed said...

Look. I only went to the free stuff because the last time I had Norton a virus of some sort sneaked past it's firewall and then proceeded to give my hard drive a good kicking.
The prog was up to date and still within it's year, so I thought,
"Screw Symantic."
and went for the free stuff, alas after only 3 years my comp was once again compromised and I'm back with Norton, next time it might be Mc Afree (is that the right name?)