Monday, January 21, 2008

...Sleep...

Little sis and her husband went back home yesterday morning but not before she opened her birthday presents.
She got, among other shiny sparkly things, a Nintendo DS in black from 'A' her husband, nice.
I got her the first brain trainer and a 2Gb micro SD card for games and stuff.
Holy hell it was funny watching her shout at the device and get the questions wrong. Always read the questions and say the colour not the words. She got an initial brain age of 80, ha ha. My mum got a brain age of 75 and she doesn't do gadgets at all.


It was about 3pm when I decided I'd go to the fridge and see what I fancied having for supper, I was thinking I'd have a couple of Asda's own chilli burgers (grilled on my George Forman grill) with a baked spud and some steamed veg. The impending repast all depended on weather I had any of the said chilli burgers.
Upon opening the freezer unit I noticed a big plastic carrier bag in the compartment,
"that's odd, what's that?"
I check the bag and find that it's a cooler box full of coddle that little sis was going to take back with her and have some time this week for supper, OOPS.
For those of you who don't know what coddle is as a food I'll try to explain.
Coddle is a type of Irish stew based on pig products, it has pork sausages cut into pieces, rashers of bacon cut into small bits, bits of ham shank, potatoes, carrots, lentils and a few other bits and bobs. My mum learned how to make it from my nan (dad's mum), I'll have to watch her the next time she does it, I tried to make it once and had to ditch it, it wasn't horrible or any thing, it just wasn't like mums. And the trick is to cook it, then leave it over night and re-heat it the next day and it becomes thick and oh so very yummy. The nieces and nephew all go mad for it and nearly always finagle a sleep over at their nan and granddad's place if they get a whiff of (so to speak) the fact that nan's making coddle.
Only one person on the planet likes his on the day it's made, you know, when it's thin and watery just like any other stew and his name is Dad. Now don't get me wrong, it's nice on the day but it's just plain BETTER the next day.
Any way thanks to little sis forgetting the load in my freezer I get to have coddle this week, yippeeee!
I did text her as soon as I found it in the freezer and asked her should I keep it in the freezer for the next time she comes up. She kindly said that I could have it (after she stopped swearing, a thing she hardly ever does, see how long the authorities let you keep working with kids if you swear every other word). She also warned me to chew it properly and not to choke on it.

Little sis and 'A' stayed for 5 days, they had my room and I used the spare in the box room. I now know that the walls in my house are not just thin but VERY THIN.
Y'see 'A' has a snore, as do I, as do most people in fact. It's just that his has no rhythm to it and is interspersed with choking noises and ominous silences at random intervals, the pitch changes also at random intervals. All these changes make it hard for the new listener, i.e. me, to get any sleep at all, in fact it was thanks to 'A' keeping me awake one night that I decided to do a network up date on the PSP I had with me and after the update I found that I could now tune in to hundreds of internet radio stations, cheers 'A', I'd never have found that out without you.
Like I said we all snore but 'A' sounded like he had found a particularly poorly adenoidal warthog and was trying to saw it in half with a log.
Other than that he is truly one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met on my travels and he used to be a fireman until he got injured on a call out and had to be pensioned off with a ruined back, well ruined as far as being a fire bobby goes. It was caused by an accident but a really stupid one, the fire had been put out and he and his team where leaving the building and he slipped on the stairs and he went down them riding his air bottle, daft and unlucky.
On a lighter note I had THE best nights kip last night, for some reason.

When you buy a game for your Wii inside the case is a bit of card with a scratch off panel on it, I've been ignoring them from day one thinking that they where some sort of thing/dialogue that will have you getting spammed by (amongst others) Nintendo. Boy was I wrong.
If you scratch the panel and use that number to register the software then you get so many hundreds of stars credited to your Nintendo account by Nintendo, these stars can then be changed into Wii points for you to buy the virtual console games. So after an afternoon of scraping and typing in codes, I bought a game for free.
Yet another reason why I love my Wii.

While I was typing this the messenger service said that I had just got an email for someone I dated years ago via friends reunited.
It was twenty years ago and at the end I treated her worse than she deserved. I don't often think of the past, what good does it serve, but when I do and my thoughts are of her I do tend to become somewhat morose and beat myself up over how I handled the breakup.
I'll not reply, let her think I'm still the unthinking, arrogant fuck head that I was.
The past needs to stay in the past.

Excuse me I'm off to be morose and reproachful.

Chin chin

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coddle sounds like my nightmare dude, the Noah's Ark of a meal...Bring me two of every animal. lol

Ashley

Ed's next door neighbour said...

Two layers of lath and plaster with a wooden frame between is definitely NOT a good insulator against anything, particularly in the dead of night (when even the quietest snoring can be deafening!)

It could be worse though - you could live in a new house, with even thinner walls between you and the neighbours, let alone your guests, and rooms you need toy-town sized furniture for!

I'm with Ash on the coddle thing ... but if it is that good, you need to learn so you can perfect it. My nan taught me to make pot roast, which was always her speciality. Yummy!

The bastard child of Gene Hunt said...

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG & WRONG! IF YOU WERE TO ASK THE ADVICE OF A GEEZER WITH A M.SC IN PSYCHOLOGY, HE WOULD TELL YOU TO START TYPING A REPLY A.S.A.P. ASK FOR FORGIVENESS, BE FRIENDLY, THINK HOW DIFFICULT IT WAS FOR HER TO WRITE IN THE FIRST PLACE. DON'T MAKE HER FEEL ANY MORE FOOLISH THAN SHE DOES NOW. IT TOOK GREAT COURAGE FOR HER TO CONTACT YOU. DO THE DECENT THING AND RECIPROCATE.
BTW, I'M SHOUTING!

Ed said...

Hi Ash,
Coddle is great you vegetarian weirdo.

Hi J+D,
You're right about the walls and furniture but as for the coddle you'd all love it. When I was a veggie the two things I missed where bacon butties and coddle.
Feeling peckish now, oly half an hour till lunch.

Hi Ivan,
I sent her a short message, kept it simple and appologised.

Ed's next door neighbour said...

I'll agree with the bacon butties - and I never gave up turkey butties at Xmas even through 7 years of being a veggie. But never got excited about piggie, except for bacon.

Ed's next door neighbour said...

*hur hur*

A thought on the Friends Reunited contact. She's probably now married with sixteen kids and looking for a bit of excitement ...

*hur hur*

Ed said...

She says she now lives in Scotland with her kids.

Ed's next door neighbour said...

*chortle*

'nuff said!

Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

A spoon. Because it'll hurt more.

What's this about free Wii games??