Thursday, August 10, 2006

Mum and Dad pay a visit

Mum, dad and brother popped round earlier, brother only stayed for a while, just a cuppa (in the new jumbo size cups I've got) and a chat, he was only really dropping off mum and dad, he and his family went to Shakespeare country the other day said it was nice. One day I'll have to stop there myself, I've passed thru it hundreds of times either heading north or south.

I invited mum and dad around for tea a few days ago, to try out a new recipe on them (guinea pigs*). I had cut a couple pork loins into medallions the night before and had them soaking in a mixture of Greek olive oil, a dash of chili olive oil, a sprinkling of crushed dried red chilies, two teaspoons of honey and a pinch of Salt and black pepper and finally a good sized splash of light soy sauce, blended all together and poured over the pork, covered in the fridge over night then today put the whole mix into a frying pan and cooked slowly for 30 mins stir and turn occasionally. Served with baby new potatoes and steamed veg (cauliflower, green beans and carrots), with a glass of Blossom Hill pinot grigio, splendid.

Oh and we had Chocolate swirl ice cream and chilled Mellon balls for desert.

I'm now as full as an egg, with a sinkfull (two more like it) of washing up to do and no hot water(yet), mum and dad have just left as the weather looks like it's going to get nasty , lets hope they get in before it does, anyway I suppose it was a nice change for mum, no cooking and no washing up to do.

The antena that feeds the didgi box for my telly is flapping around in the wind so no telly for me tonight, I'll have to get it fixed before I go back to work in case it comes loose and brains someone, that wouldn't suck enough.

Well must dash, I can't sit here all evening talking to you I have to take the penguin for a walk.

* I must point out that due to my shockingly bad grasp of the English language I may have mislead people to believe that I had cooked Guinea pigs, nothing could be further from the truth, I cooked pork and my parents where the guinea pigs, I mean they're human of course, but this was a first time recipe.
Thanks to Allen for pointing that out, cheers.

5 comments:

Allan said...

For a second there, I thought you said your were trying out a recipe for guinea pig.

Ed said...

Is that a challenge?

Allan said...

It depends on if you intended to use shop bought guinea pig, or catch them wild?

Ed said...

wild, obviously...well I imagine they'll be pretty upset.

Karen said...

Somehow- now that I know you didn't really cook guinea pigs (hey, everybody has different tastes!) I am laughing and laughing at the idea of Guinea pigs for supper.
my humor runs a little sadistic sometimes.