Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A night in the life of a research chef...

Hello chums,
Another sleepless night last night, caused by a get together that ended not on Sunday night but on Monday morning, after the milkman had been! oops.
The upshot of that was a lie in of biblical proportions and a body clock shot to hell.
It's the night/ morning of Monday / Tuesday and at approx 2am I give up hope of ever finding sleep and fed up of my internal eyelid inspection I throw off the covers throw on a t-shirt and some shorts and some big woolly socks that I use in lieu of slippers and head downstairs.
What to do now with my time, while I wait for everyone else on Earth to wake up. A mug of tea that should kill a bit of time, so while I'm in the fridge for the milk I spot the making of a stew and have a thought.
Leeks, cubed beef, carrots, garlic, onions, spuds(on top) and lentils in a jar on the counter top. Now all that needs to done is to decide on what spices to use.
Or do I forgo the spices and use Guinness instead of stock, hmmm, nahh! Not this time maybe next time I find myself adrift in the sea of insomnia.
Two hours later I have a stock pot full of the best stew I've ever made, with the exception that it could have had some more beef in it (where's the beef?)
I allowed it to cool for a bit and then ladled it all out into plastic containers, each one a meal for one.
While I was washing up and cleaning down another great idea came to me (yes another one actually!) I've got the makings of a chilly there and seeing that I'm already in the kitchen and there is still some time to go before the rest of the world is awake, I'll make a big pot of chilly, yum.
So I did. I now have enough food in the freezer to last me at least a month and a half. Dead brill.

It's now gone 9pm and I'm flagging a bit, sleep tonight will not be a problem, an early start now that might be tricky.

Chin chin.

No comments: