Thursday, May 24, 2007

Shoe shopping for beginners...

Today I did something I have not (to my knowledge) done before. I shopped for shoes, I'll explain.
In the past I have had dealings with only one or two shops that cater for those of us cursed with hobbit sized feet, it's one style take it or leave it, so you go in ask for, "the usual please", hand over the cash and walk out with a newer pair of shoes in the same style as you already have on your massively over sized plates of meat.
Today that changed (hopefully for good). For today I went to Brantano, hallelujah! ( I know this sounds like a shameless plug, just bear with me I do calm down in a minute I promise).
And I came forth unto the world with not one pair of shoes, no! Neither was it two pairs but three pairs of shoes AND in different styles! What do you think of that?

{breath in, breath out, breath in etc}

I was confronted with whole shelves full of massive shoes, boots and trainers made by the likes of Nike, Pod and Ben Sherman. The sort of things I thought forever lost to me because of my over sized pinkies. Now this is where I thought I was on candid camera, the prices stayed in double figures and bellow £60, I nearly had to sit down.

I tried on several different styles before settling on a pair of approach shoes (v comfy), a pair of blue suede brothel creepers (had to buy a pair of blue jeans as they didn't look right against my usual black) and a pair of black Nike jobs that came with a spare pair of laces (wow).

I reckon I know how they manage to get these big sizes, at least in the branch I visited today, the store can't be more than 300 yards from Camel Lairds Shipbuilders and probably have all the shoes made locally under license on a spare slipway.

Here's a pic of them

Of course now I have a unique problem. When I wake each morning I'll have to decide what shoes to wear. Oh the irony.

One last shoe related gush. I'll be paying their web site a visit for a pair of modern desert wellies.

Remember I said that my dad had gotten himself a new printer and I was dead jealous, well not any more, I got one and it's impressive. That's all I have to say about that.

And now a pic of some geese and their young.
Awhhh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Ed! I love the blue suede shoes! I have been wanting a pair like that for about 2 years now, but at the last, I always chicken out, and end up with more neutral coloured shoes.
Congrats on your newly found wealth of footwear.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dude,

Hows the retired life treating you?

Good news on the shoe front, but my favourite thing in ages is the totally random addition of some geese? Why, who knows...and thats the way I like it.

S'later
Ashley

Ed said...

Throw caution to the wind and buy silly shoes Blu Roux, you know you want to.

Ash. retirement suits me well. Glad you liked the geese.
Later.